The City contracts assessing services through Southwest Assessing. Their phone number is 763-473-3978.
The Assessor’s office estimates market value and classifies all property in Medina. Minnesota statutes requires that the values set by the assessor represent 100 percent of market value. The assessor must provide uniform property values to ensure that the tax burden is distributed fairly and equitably.
Assessor’s Office Responsibilities
- Maintain homestead status, which is the property tax classification that may be applied to an occupied property for one’s primary place of residence.
- Inspect and review all existing properties in the city at least once every five years.
- Inspect and review properties for which permits were issued in the current year and any partial assessments from prior years.
- Provide value and ownership information to the public.
- Calculate property values.
- Send notices listing current property value to all property owners each March. At this time, staff reviews concerns of property owners who wish to contest the value set by the Assessor. If the issue cannot be resolved, owners may contest the value to the Board of Appeal and Equalization, which is held each April.
How do I apply for a homestead classification?
After moving in to your new home, you can apply for homestead classification. If you qualify, you may receive a market value exclusion, which can reduce your property taxes in the following year.
Apply in person:
- Go to Medina City Hall, 2052 County Road 24, Medina, MN 55340 (M-F; 8 AM-4:30PM).
- Present or attach a copy of the deed and certificate of real estate value provided at closing, usually labeled “Homestead Filing Instructions.”
- Provide Social Security numbers of all owners, spouses and/or qualified relatives who live in the property.
- The process usually takes less than five minutes.
- Sign into the Hennepin County online service at www.hennepin.us/homestead, via computer, smart phone, or tablet.
- Complete the homestead application.
- You can track the status of your application.
- To protect private information, this application uses a secure server and applicant registration with email, login and password protection.
- Information will not be shared with outside parties.
- Your application will automatically be sent to the appropriate homestead office.
For more information on homestead classification or the online application process, visit: www.hennepin.us/homestead.
Property Tax Fact Sheets
The Department of Revenue has a number of other Property Tax Fact Sheets that can be found at: http://www.revenue.state.mn.us/propertytax/Pages/factsheets.aspx.
How do I know this person inspecting my house is representing the City Assessor’s office?
Pictures of the current City Assessors are shown below. (click on the picture below to view a better quality image)